17 January 2012

Lupini: The Taste Test

"The time has come," the Walrus said...  Oh, wait, no, it's day 5, so it's time for the taste test. Here's how it went down: After changing the soak water (which I decided to leave fresh today, to let some of the saltiness dissipate) and waiting for a witness to get home, I made my first attempt. I extracted one lucky bean, bit the skin, for easy removal, and popped it in. My witness will report that I had a questioning look on my face. I was trying to decide if the taste was bitter or not (i.e. not done soaking). It wasn't bitter, it had a metallic overtone, which makes me wonder if I shouldn't have soaked it in a glass canning jar with its original metal lid. Nothing like that good ol' stainless steel flavor.

Where are the beans now? Back in the glass jar, with plastic on top...and some salt. A second attempt tomorrow, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment