12 January 2012

Next experiment: Lupini

My favorite Italian co-worker introduced me to these a few years ago. They were slightly crunchy, salty, and yummy to snack on. The knowledgeable (and infallible) internet shows that lupini is often prepared for celebrations, such as Easter, often served with beer. Here, I am breaking tradition, with no major celebration and no beer in sight. Until a few weeks ago, I had never seen these little beans, but when they jumped off the shelf of a local market, it was time.

Lupini is a good source of protein, so the internet says, but the beans contain lots of nasty toxins too, which is why they must soak and soak and soak, until the bitterness is gone. This could be up to two weeks. My co-worked gave me a basic recipe, but, 4 years later, I have no idea where it is. I do remember a lot of boiling, rinsing, and salting. Again, after consulting the web, I decided my method:

  • Soak for 24 hours. Rinse.
  • Boil in salted water for 90 mins. Rinse.
  • Cover in salty water (1 T/quart) and refrigerate.
  • Rinse and recover with salty water 1-2 times a day until they 'don't bite back.'
  • The end product was yellow and plump.
Ready for the ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment