12 August 2011

Best day

On my grandfather's 90th birthday (Happy Birthday, Grandpa!), I asked him what one day he would like to relive. He could have said the day he graduated college, or the day he met Grandma, or the day he became a father. He could have said the day he had $X0,000 in his bank account or the day he got a big promotion. After a minute of thought, he told me it was a day he was home on leave from the Navy during World War II when he learned that he didn't have to go back. A few minutes into dinner, he changed his mind and said maybe VJ day was a better option, in learning that the war was over. He continued changing every few minutes, and finally ended with the day my older brother was born. (Why that was anyone's favorite day, oh...) One day he never mentioned, even with Grandma's repeated encouragement, was his wedding day.

With the marriage of one of my best friends next week and my own anniversary (Happy Anniversary, Exceptional Husband!), plus after attending two weddings a few weeks ago, that big day has been on my mind. So many people look forward to that one day as the best day ever, the one magical day where all things wonderful happen. Every good fairy tale ends with a wedding. Ever happily ever after begins with one. Every celebrity wedding is covered in extreme detail. But is our wedding day focused society part of the reason for 50+% divorce rate and millions of unhappy couples? What would change if we looked into making a marriage work rather than planning the perfect one day wedding? Now, all that said, I don't downplay the actual wedding as anything less than the most significant promise we can make, but for me, if I could replay one day in the past year, I would pick a quiet Sunday afternoon where we read books together, or an afternoon playing racquetball (though not the one that my shot landed on his face), or maybe the day we fed very active ostriches on our honeymoon. None of those days have any pomp or circumstance, but they didn't have any stress or anxiety (or lack of sleep) either. My view might be skewed because I did feel a little stressed on the day of the wedding (no cold feet, no backing out, just a lot of people and so many things to do!), but I want more best days to come, rather than pining for one and only day that already happened.

What day would you relive?

2 comments:

  1. It was one of the better days of my life, too -- or at least one of the more pivotal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made quite a splash, so I hear.

    ReplyDelete