09 March 2012

Left it in my other pants

Unemployment, or minimal employment, has sometimes brought out my quirky creative side...  not that it isn't always there, it just doesn't have as much attention. But what else are you suppose to do with worn out pants?

Let me explain: a few years ago, while searching for a new job, I wanted a new purse, but lacked funding and lacked the desire to shop. However, I didn't lack an extra pair of pants.  (The usefulness of said pants you have seen previously).  So, brain met brawn and a purse came to life, complete with two inside pockets and an adjustable strap. Don't imagine that it jumped together without a struggle. Sure, pants are meant to carry keys, wallet, or phone, but these pants wanted to remain in the original configuration.


Last Christmas, a friend of mine offered a fresh pair of holey jeans and I couldn't resist.  She had shown enough interest in my last creation that I decided to make her one too. This version submitted more easily, but not without several needle fatalities. It features two inside pockets, an adjustable strap, a space divider, and a belt loop for hanging keys, if she wants. I Left It In My Other Pants II complete!
 

What I learned:
  • Jean is stiff material
  • Making stuff is fun
What do you think? 


6 comments:

  1. Nice job. I might have to try that when I have a pair of pants to sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needle murderer. Ok, it *is* a neat result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's fantastic! Fits my little camera & keys perfectly and the piggies are excited for me to test it out at the park with them this weekend :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Loooooooooove the fact that it creates some cool angles with the seams and button, rather than being all square and predictable.

    Most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Did you just make up a pattern or did you find a pattern somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this, I made it up as I went. I knew that square would be easiest to visualize, but one side needed a flap to cover the top, so I made a 'house' type shape, with a triangle on top of the square. It's amazing how trial and error, lots of error, teach what works and what doesn't. Thanks for reading! Hope you and your cute family are well!

      Delete