11 July 2011

Calling all bakers: Cake

Birthday cake, graduation cake, wedding cake, holiday cake, groom's cake, shower cake, baby cake...it's everywhere. Yet so often I hear people say, 'Oh what a lovely cake, but I don't really like cake that much.'
Why is it so easy to make something look amazing and taste mediocre? Unfortunately, I am a guilty baker myself.

Soon I get to make another. I'm excited, but my goal is that this one will actually taste good. Really good. I know I'm being demanding, but while my bakery experience taught me how to make it look good, but I want more than the watering eyeball and 'No, thank you' response. Of course, it has to look right, too.

Here's where you come in. These are my pleas to the world wide universe:
  1. What is a good chocolate cake recipe for a stalked, sculpted cake?
  2. And I have to make a handle, preferably edible, shaped like and L that has tipped over, thus lacking much support. What will hold the shape and not fall over or get soft?

You know where the box is.

2 comments:

  1. This (http://sallys-smorsels.blogspot.com/search/label/cake%2Fcupcakes?updated-max=2009-09-05T10%3A57%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=20) is my favorite chocolate cake ever. But I'm not sure how it would hold up as a sculpted cake...

    Is this cake for Michelle & Jerry's wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good. Do you remember if it is spongy, dense, sweet, rich, etc? And yes, I hope so, but don't tell Jerry that.

    ReplyDelete