23 June 2011

Of things that matter most

Remember the time when company came over and all you spent the whole time checking the punch bowl level or filling the dessert tray. Or maybe that time you gave that big presentation and that really great opening clip didn't work, so the entire production failed. Or you forgot to bring the refreshments to a recent gathering and couldn't relax and enjoy. Or maybe your shoes didn't quite match those pants like you wanted them to. Welcome to mortality, the place to learn what really matters.

Anyone well acquainted with my parents know how nice the yard looks and how orderly and clean the house is. So, when my parents and various siblings came to visit a few weeks ago, I was annoyed with myself that I had a stack of dishes within 10 minutes of their arrival and seemingly no time to do them. As I fretted and apologized for the third time about not being more clean, my mom said she hoped that I wanted to spend time with the family rather than do dishes. Oh. Okay. Lesson learned.

So, this morning as my husband I decided that rather than attack the dishes, organize the desk, plan tasks for the day, respond to emails, or check on the plants, I would pay attention to him,especially since his time at work has extended longer with each passing day this week, by following him around. Lest you think it's creepy, it was kind of fun to just be with him. It boosts his ego, I think. Maybe that time is one of the things that matter most. Thank you President Uchtdorf.

What matters most to you?

2 comments:

  1. Hey...I just watched that video earlier this morning. :) Such a good reminder!

    Some of the moments that matter most to me are the small moments I share with those I love, the laughter and recognition of a child, seeing my students excel, watching my bean plants sprout, and enjoying the beautiful details of the natural world and God's creations all around me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another really good one: President Monson Oct. 2008 http://lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/finding-joy-in-the-journey?lang=eng

    Just do the right things to be happy and grateful. That's really what matters.

    ReplyDelete