13 May 2012

Brats anyone?

Welcome to Bavaria, home of the blue and white checked flag, Germans, and hops fields. We saw the Glockenspiel in Munich (Purists, please forgive my lack of accents) and went to Dachau. It was the first concentration camp in Germany and considered heaven compared to others, as it was not ever an execution camp. Don't let that fool you, because 25% of the prisoners that came there died there. But that's a lot 'better' than the 95% in Auschwitz. And what is the Glockenspiel? It's a clock tower with giant dancing and celebrating figures that was created to commemorate the marriage of a Duke in 1600 something and the cooper dancers that entertained during the Plague in 1517 (?). (Coopers are barrel makers.)

We have visited a castle and a cathedral. We ate lots and lots of brats and wurst and potatoes. We have also slept a bit. Which is a nice change after staying awake for over 30 hours on our flight over.

At church we met lots of people and I tried my hardest to understand German. I thought I could, I thought I could, but it was one of the longest church meetings I ever attended. It's not that the speakers or lessons were sub par, but German is not Dutch.

Oh, we ate applestrudel too. And kabobs. And ice cream. I like ice cream. And German food. Maybe that's all the weight I'm gaining...

No comments:

Post a Comment